GMSAA BY-LAWS pg. 32 & 33
FOOTBALL PRACTICE Football practice may begin Sunday, July 24, 2022.
1. In the first week of practice for any student, the practice may not last longer than two (2) hours, and the student may wear no other protective football equipment except helmet and mouthpieces. NOTE: (a) The time for a session shall be measured from the time the players report to the practice or workout area until they leave that area.
2. During acclimatization practices, the student must practice in helmet only for a minimum of three (3) days in the first week.
3. Beginning Monday, August 1, 2022, any student may practice in full pads and practice may not last longer than two (2) hours in full pads: (a) A student must have participated in three (3) conditioning practices wearing no other protective football equipment except helmet and mouthpieces before being allowed to practice in full pads. (b) These procedures are derived from recommendations by the GHSA By-Laws and created by the Inter Association Task Force for Preseason Secondary School Athletics Participants in the paper “Preseason Heat-Acclimatization Guidelines for Secondary School Athletes.”
4. Spring practice, pre-season practice shall be limited to two (2) hours per day and shall be limited to a maximum of five (5) practice sessions per week. A control scrimmage, game or jamboree scrimmage shall count as one (1) day of a two (2) hour practice. During the regular season (opening season game week) practice shall be limited to two (2) hours per day and shall be limited to a maximum of four (4) practice sessions per week. A regular season game shall count as one (1) day of a two (2) hour practice.
5. First three weeks of fall practice, each member school may participate in an intra-squad practice with any GMSAA member program. This may take place only during the first three weeks of the fall practice schedule. This format is strictly enforced as a practice format. The intra-squad practice is not authorized as a control scrimmage, game format or control game format. The intra-squad practice shall count as one (1) day of a two (2) hour practice.
6. Full contact should be limited during games and practices as well as during activity outside of the traditional fall practice. (Note: No limitation is placed on activities defined below as “AIR, BAGS or CONTROL” contact. (a) For purposes of this by-law, the following definitions shall apply: (1) AIR - Players run a drill unopposed without contact; (2) BAGS - Players run a drill against a bag or another soft-contact surface; (3) CONTROL - Players run a drill at assigned speed until the moment of contact and one player is pre-determined the “winner” by the coach. Contact remains above the waist and players stay on their feet. (4) THUD – Players run a drill at competitive speed through the moment of contact with no predetermined “winner.” Contact remains above the waist; players stay on their feet and a quick whistle ends the drill; (5) LIVE ACTION - Players run a drill in game-like conditions and is the only time that players are taken to the ground; (6) FULL CONTACT - Contact which meets the definition of Live Action or Thud. (b) Pre-Season Practice: 1) Full contact shall be allowed in no more than 2 consecutive practice days per week; 2) Full contact during practice shall be limited to not more than 45 minutes per day; 3) Full contact during practice shall be limited to not more than 135 minutes per week; 4) During any twice-daily practice, only one session per day shall include full contact. (c) Regular & Post Season Practice: 1) Full contact during practice shall be allowed in no more than three (3) practice days per week; 2) Full contact during practice shall not be allowed on more than two (2) consecutive days; 3) Full contact during practice shall be limited to not more than 30 minutes per day; 4) Full contact during practice shall be limited to not more than 90 minutes per week. (d) Written Practice Plans: A written practice plan in compliance with this by-law shall be prepared in advance by the head coach prior to the start of the pre-season practice. Such practice plans shall be made available to the GMSAA Area Manager by Sunday, July 24, 2022